[mythtv] Plextor ConvertX Transcoding

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Jan 25 02:52:56 UTC 2007

* On Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 08:08:06PM -0600, Austin Roberts wrote:
> have a Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402u external MPEG4 tuner. Recording shows on
> this tuner works fine, but when I try to transcode the shows (lossless or
> otherwise) to remove commercials, the video winds up garbled. I've found
> that sometimes I can find a point in the video where everything appears
> normal, then back up or step through the video and everything appears fine,
> so I know the video is intact at some level. I suspect it is an issue with

Best place to look is going to be inside programs/mythtranscode/transcode.cpp.

You can't use 'lossless' with a .nuv file which is what Myth creates when
you use your ConvertX, so this has to be the original 'lossy' part of the
transcoder.  The code in transcode.cpp can be used to cut commercials without
having to reencode the whole video, it only reencodes the frames it needs to
in order to glue together the parts around the commercial.

If you provide a clip, I can take a quick look and probably give you some
more detailed info about where to look in the source code.

You can email me off-list if you have a place where you can drop off a short
clip that I can download.

Also, one tool you might want to look at is nuvscan, it is available here:

	http://mythtv.beirdo.ca/nuvtools/

nuvscan has helped me track down issues with the transcoder in the past.

--
Chris