[mythtv] Hardware encoders

tom at redpepperracing.com tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Jan 25 03:04:24 UTC 2007

> Tom Lichti wrote:
>> Bruce Markey wrote:
>>> Hardware encoders suck!
>>
>> snip...
>>
>>> <!rant>
>>
>> Thanks for that discourse Bruce, it was very enlightening. Would you say
>> that this applies to most bttv based cards? Any to avoid, or
>> alternatively, that you prefer? I am going to be making some big changes
>> to my myth setup, and this could help me in some ways.
>
> An underlying premise is that a bt8x8 is a bt8x8 and they
> are all capable of outputting the same raw frame given the
> same register settings. The questions are which features are
> turned on or off and how are those frames post processed.

snip...

> I'd say before "making some big changes", get one card and
> experiment with it. See what does and doesn't work well for you.

Again, thanks for the info. The 'big changes' are mostly unrelated to this
(moving from PVR cards and analog cable to DVB-S) so not to worry, I am
not doing anything I wasn't going to do anyway, I just figured if I can
get a cheap 'backup' card that worked well, I'd probably go the bttv
route.

Tom