[mythtv] Patch nudge...

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Jan 29 18:01:08 UTC 2007

* On Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:51:46PM +1100, William Uther wrote:
> Well, Chris said he was thinking about it.  And I thanked him,
> expecting it to be applied soon.  Then I waited a week and a half,
> and it wasn't applied.  So I nudged again.

If you can get some other people to test the thing that would be good.
This is a fairly simple idea/patch, but it's the kind of thing that
could cause issues if it's got any bugs.  I wouldn't want to be the one
without schedule data because the patch went in and a hole was found.
I use DataDirect/Zap2It, so my download times are determined by them.
Testing this would take a bit of my time that I hadn't allocated yet.

If I see a few people saying "yes, this patch worked and didn't
run 5x in one day or skip a day" or something like that then I'd apply
it a lot quicker.

Myth is a hobby, something we do in our spare time.  I think most of
the developers would rather spend time working on their own code or
mods rather than having to check/debug other people's patches, so
anything you can do to help show a patch is near bulletproof is good.
Some things are no-brainers and only take a few minutes to test,
but others need to be tested more.  I ran the Storage Groups patch for
a couple weeks in my personal production systems, then Bruce, Lincoln,
and a few others tested it for a week or so before I was comfortable
putting it into SVN.  Storage, Recording, Scheduling, Commercial
Flagging, and some other parts are items which are scrutinized more
than others because if they're broken lots of people notice.  Adding
a new menu item or correcting a spelling mistake are trivial patches
that don't require as much scrutiny.

None of this is commenting on your coding or anything, so please don't
take it that way.  I just haven't had time to set down and test it
enough to feel comfortable committing it.  If anyone else has tested
this, please speak up.

--
Chris