[mythtv] Scheduler needs table keys?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Jan 29 21:32:59 UTC 2007

* On Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 12:28:48PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:44:42PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > Allow Re-record doesn't prevent 5 copies of the same episode
> > from being recorded at different times.   If the Simpsons comes
>
> Yes, it will.  When episode 101 is recorded, an entry gets added to
> oldrecorded.  Unless you do something to that oldrecorded entry,
> episode 101 won't get recorded again.  After you finishe watching
> episode 101 and go to delete it, you can choose to allow re-record.
> Then and only then, can episode 101 be recorded again.

So it's not automatic.  I think that was my issue.  It requires
the user to select "allow re-record" for the things that they want
and the "delete but don't allow re-record" for thigns they don't
want to see again.  If we check in recorded, then this happens
automatically.  We always know we have X distinct episodes of show Y
and that if we delete one, its slot will be filled by another distinct
episode to bring us back up to X.

If someone wants to keep X distinct episodes of a show around whether
they have seen those particular episodes before or not, they shouldn't
have to worry about remembering to select "allow re-record" when deleting.

The more I think about this again, the more use I see for it.  Once my
daughter is able to start controlling Myth, I'm sure I'll find even more
use for it so that I can keep a certain number of distinct episodes of
the shows she'll watch.  I won't care whether it is 5 episodes she's seen
before as long as there are 5 of them.  I doubt I'll want to have to
remember to hit "allow re-record" every time I delete one of her
recordings (even worse trying to get her to remember if I let her
do it). :)

This could probably be solved another way by either not populating
oldrecorded for these type shows, populating it with a special flag
telling the scheduler to not match for dups, or performing the dup
check against recorded at a point outside the main SQL query.

I'm still all for removing the recorded contention, I'll just have to
find another way to get this desired functionality.  I think I've
discussed the kid's cartoons use case with others previously on the
list.  I see my memory as closer to oldrecorded and a kids as closer
to recorded.  They might not mind if they see the same cartoon 3 days
from now, but I don't care to see that same episode of Lost 3 years
from now when it is way out of context with the current episodes at
the time. :)

--
Chris