[mythtv] Scheduler needs table keys?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Jan 30 12:03:01 UTC 2007

* On Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 09:58:36AM +0000, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
<snip> a bunch of "create index" statements

> > No real difference on any of these that I could tell.  I applied them one
> > by one and did a "mythbackend --resched" after each.

> Well that's not really going to be a good test, since after the first
> reschedule all of the referenced DB tables will have been read into
> memory, so having an index isn't going to speed things up much.
>
> Where it will help is when doing a reschedule after your machine has
> been busy doing other things, so then just the indexes need reading
> into memory.

I have a dedicated database server, my tables and indexes are usually
always in memory. :)

Even if they're in memory, doing an index search is much faster than
doing a complete table scan, so if it was using an index that gave any
significant speedup, I should have seen a difference in runtime.  All
of my runs were less than 1 second difference, which is about a 3%
deviation plus or minus when you consider the average was around
16.5 seconds.

--
Chris