[mythtv] testing mythtv-vid branch - questions & problems

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 00:36:12 UTC 2007

On 6/30/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> Note: If you have any more questions, please move them
> to the users' mailing list and send me a note, I'll follow
> the thread there.
>
> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 11:38 +1000, Matt Doran wrote:
> > > This looks like a bug. Could you note this on the #2287
> > > ticket? Just so it doesn't fall through the cracks..
> > Done
> Thanks
>
> > I managed to get my hands on a nvidia 7600gs, and it performed much
> > better.... even enabling opengl vsync worked.  On the 6150, opengl vsync
> > caused all kinds of odd problems.
> Did you disable the automatic vsync settings in
> nvidia-settings? These mess with MythTV's vsync
> and also lower video decoding performance overall.
>
> > Although I only tested the 7600gs for an hour or two, I found it to be
> > less stable.   Sometimes it would crash, other when I started playback
> > it would just pause for 1-2 secs play a few frames, pause again, play a
> > few frames, over and over.  If I stopped an restarted the playback it
> > would fix itself up.   So the stability just doesn't appear to be there
> > yet .... but maybe it's the drivers I'm using??
> If you were still using the 9xxx ones rather than the two
> versions I mentioned then yes it could be the drivers. You
> may also need to play around with your XOrg settings, BIOS
> settings and nvidia driver args and nvidia-setting variables
> to get the best OpenGL performance.
>
> > Does you know what video card would be required to render 1080i content,
> > and deinterlace it?     The nvidia purevideo drivers can do this easily
> > on pretty average hardware.... but I'm not sure how that compares to how
> > mythtv opengl rendering compares.
> I'm not aware of any cards that can render 1080i using our
> OpenGL renderer, but then again the newest nVidia card I
> have is a 6800. nVidia PureVideo is a completely different
> beast and is not available under Linux. Not that it is
> something we couldn't implement ourselves, it would just
> be a few months of work for someone talented to tackle it.

I have 7600GT with 256MB and driver 8776 core 2 duo 2.4ghz 2gb ram,
the mythtv-vid opengl renderer works perfectly at 1920x1080 60hz
playing back various sources, h264 recordings transcoded  to xvid (too
intensive to playback in realtime currently), mpeg2, blue ray.

Its the biggest single improvement ive seen in mythtv in the past few
months, the overall video qualiy seems much improved, especially in
upscaled sd content.

Andy