[mythtv] mtd: libdvdread vs libdvdnav

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 20:15:04 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 20:36:22 Robin Gilks wrote:
> > Err, could you not just play it from the DVD? I fail to understand why
> > you would bother to rip a rented DVD just to play it, then delete it
> > afterwards.
>
> Since Myth wouldn't play a set of DVDs I bought recently, I had to rip
> them on a Windows box just to watch what I'd just bought.
>
> This is after sending the set back to Amazon twice due to a "faulty" disk
> that wouldn't play. Well I'd never heard of RipGuard or whatever it is, so
> how was I to know it was a deficiency of the MythTV code...

The mythtv DVD player uses libdvdnav and the point of this thread is that
libdvdnav apparently doesn't have problems with RipGuard because it is
playing the DVD, not attempting to copy it. Don't actually know how true this
is, I'm just accepting what Bradley has said on the subject.

If you have problems playing back DVDs with the internal player then you need
to open a ticket.
--
Stuart Morgan