[mythtv] mtd: libdvdread vs libdvdnav

Bradley Kite bradley.kite at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 20:45:32 UTC 2007

On 04/07/07, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 July 2007 20:36:22 Robin Gilks wrote:
> > > Err, could you not just play it from the DVD? I fail to understand why
> > > you would bother to rip a rented DVD just to play it, then delete it
> > > afterwards.
> >
> > Since Myth wouldn't play a set of DVDs I bought recently, I had to rip
> > them on a Windows box just to watch what I'd just bought.
> >
> > This is after sending the set back to Amazon twice due to a "faulty"
> disk
> > that wouldn't play. Well I'd never heard of RipGuard or whatever it is,
> so
> > how was I to know it was a deficiency of the MythTV code...
>
> The mythtv DVD player uses libdvdnav and the point of this thread is that
> libdvdnav apparently doesn't have problems with RipGuard because it is
> playing the DVD, not attempting to copy it. Don't actually know how true
> this
> is, I'm just accepting what Bradley has said on the subject.
>
> If you have problems playing back DVDs with the internal player then you
> need
> to open a ticket.
> --
> Stuart Morgan

I'm sorry I even mentioned RipGuard - to be honest I don't know for sure
what is preventing me from importing my DVD's.

The fact of the matter is that I have a legally purchased DVD that MythTV
can play, but will not import. This got me looking at the differences
between the player and mtd, and I noticed that they use different libraries
- Both are actually shipped and used within MythTV (and in fact dvdread is a
component within dvdnav).

All I am really proposing is to use a single interface for both playing and
importing. I'm not trying to get MythTV to really do any thing that it is
not all ready doing.

This would fix (as I see it) a bug in mtd that prevents me from legally
importing the disc into my entertainment system.

--
Brad.