[mythtv] MythMusic Redux Proposals WAS: Proposed Change to MythMusic

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 01:02:20 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > Let's use this thread to post and discuss mock-ups. This is not a
> > "wish list" thread, use the wiki for that and those of us creating
> > mock-ups will use that list to create our ideas. Use this thread to
> > comment on the mock-up. Also, please wait for mock-ups to be posted or
> > create your own instead of just adding comments like "I'd like to see
> > things work this way...".
>
> I also do not have much time for coding, but here are some of the things
> that caught my eye of late:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/9111235@N06/774817433/in/photostream/
> The above link is a series of Mockup a user recently posted to the
> Clutter mailing list. This appears to be his pet project and he has
> written a backend and is now coding the frontend using libclutter and
> the python bindings. For those of you who don't know Clutter is a nice
> API for creating simple but visually rich GL apps, specifically media apps.
>

> http://elisa.fluendo.com/
> Elisa is a Pigment based meida player. Pigment seems to be very similar
> to Clutter and some people I've spoken to recently on IRC (MacSlow
> included) have mentioned that they'd like the Pigment and Clutter people
> to work together for the common good. I don't think this is overly
> likely however. It seems Pigment has more focus on the Python bindings
> in that these appear to be the main/recommended approach to leaveraging
> Pigment.
>

> The above are designed to give a few thoughts on ideas rather than
> anything else.
>
> Also I recently attended part of the Akademy (KDE Dev conference). There
> are some very interesting things proposed by Qt guys, specifically Zack
> Rusin. He showed some really nice GL based frameworks he was working on.
> I think Qt will really start to shine in it's next 4.x series
> (QGraphicsView is already pretty good I am told but more is gonna come
> in the future).
>
> Also in addition to this, there was significant talk of Strigi (the KDE4
> Indexing tool - think Kat, Kerry, Beagle etc. but actually good!). I
> wanted to catch this lecture but missed most of it. I wanted to ask if
> this was a good thing as there are so many solutions in this field, how
> can we make user facing tools that will work with all backends? Well
> what I did manage to catch of this was that there is now a Freedesktop
> Standard for accessing search indexes!!! Woot!!
>
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamAbout
>
> This is a mechanism to search these various indexers via DBUS.
>
> This would meed that Tracker or Strigi could be used to index your Music
> files and Xesam could be used to query it.
>
> If there is to be a MythMusic rewrite (or reimplementation as MythTunes
> perhaps?)

MythTunes! perhaps renaming it to that as a separate project is a good idea?

> then i think it could lead the way to building on such a
> backend. I really hope that media applications will go this way - even
> if it means doing work on other projects ot get there. I dream of the
> day I can use Amarok, or RhythmBox or MythTunes and they all share the
> same Meta database, same static playlists, and even the same dynamic
> playlists (some sort of Stored Procedure but for a search index? No idea
> if this exists, but it would be neat!).

I agree, I think it would be great if Amarok and MythTunes shared a db
(I have mySQL running a db for Amarok and MythTV right now anyway) ,
but I don't know if the Amarok db holds enough track/id3 information
to do what is needed. At least thats the impression i get when i look
at the track properties dialog in Amarok. Someone would need to look
at this, and perhaps approach the Amarok team about such a sharing of
databases.

Perhaps a better method would be for there to be a "server" part of
MythTunes that integrates with Amarok in some fashion (amongst other
things it could do, like daap, etc?). Anyway, thats off topic...

> Those of you who know me know this is not a new bugbear for me! So I'm
> just seizing the opportunity to do exactly what Justin predicted :p

I believe many of the previous discussions about this were you and I
bantering back and forth with a few others as no one paid attention =D

Oh, I looked at the links you sent. I'm trying to integrate ideas from
all these sources, including iTunes, AppleTV's interface, etc.

I see perhaps an "iTunes" style interface that is more utilitarian
than pretty, a "JukeBox" style which is more pretty than utilitarian,
and then a version of each for HD and SD. This along with proper a
MythWeb module (which seems to be going well right now from what I've
seen) and it should cover all the ways to manage music. I've got some
drawings on my desk at work I'll continue to work on....

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!