[mythtv] MythMusic - TagLib problem

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Wed Jul 18 12:54:07 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am having an annoying problem where the tags on my mp3s are not being
scanned and stored in the database correctly.

I have traced the problem to TagLib not returning a useful tab in the
following code (mythplugins/mythmusic/mythmusic/metaiotaglib.cpp, line 132):

     File *taglib = new TagLib::MPEG::File(filename.local8Bit());

     Tag *tag = taglib->tag();

     if (!tag)
     {
         if (taglib)
             delete taglib;
         VERBOSE(VB_IMPORTANT, QString("[DEBUG] Returning null for
	    '%1'").arg(filename.local8Bit()));
         return NULL;
     }

The VERBOSE in there is my doing to test that is where it's failing (and
indeed, 99% of my music collection is failing there, few songs succeed
and the ones that do I can't find any difference with).

Nothing else seems to have trouble reading the tags on the same files
(all my varied Windows mp3 players as well as mplayer and mpg123). Nor
did I have any trouble using the Perl bindings for TagLib to recreate
the exact scenario above without issue.

I have upgraded to the most recent TagLib in Debian stable (1.4-4) so am
basically stumped.

Any pointers on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Regards,

Johan.