[mythtv] (How) does allow re-record work?

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Mon Jul 23 20:59:03 UTC 2007

David Engel <david at istwok.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 09:14:00PM -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
>> How is the reactivate flag in the oldrecorded table supposed to work? Is
>> it supposed to allow the program to be re-recorded regardless of it's
>> current status? From reading the code in scheduler.cpp, it looks like it
>> prevents setting the previous or current recording status. But from
>> experimentation it only seems to do anything when set on the oldrecorded
>> entry for a program that is showing now. Marking something in the
>> oldrecorded table that is not currently showing does not seem to do
>> anything.
>
> reactivate is only used to request the scheduler to restart a current
> recording that it would otherwise think has already been disposed of.
> It's primarily used to automatically restart programs that were
> recording when a backend crashed.  It can also be used manually by the
> user to restart a program that was manually stopped early.

Ok, I was getting confused between the reactivate the duplicate
field. Must have gotten lost tracing the menus.

The "allow re-record" button in the "Previous Recorded" menu clears
the duplicate flag in the old recorded table by calling ForgetHistory,
which makes the scheduler ignore that entry when joining for duplicates.

The thing is that this button appears on all current recordings, and
pressing this button seems to do SFA unless it's on an episode that is
currently on. Although I suppose that, once I delete the recording, it
will re-record then. Probably this button should be removed or made to
function correctly in these cases.

Any ideas on a means to allow a currently recorded program to
re-record without doing a delete?

I tried using oldrecord.reactivate (as opposed to
oldrecstat.reactivate) in the scheduler, as well as adding a rerecord
flag to the recorded table. While I can get it to re-record, making it
stop after a single re-record is a bit more difficult.

I'm thinking now that if I can clear the duplicate flag in BOTH the
recorded and oldrecorded tables, it would do what I want. Should I
call ForgetHistory to deal with the oldrecorded table (since it does
some extra cleanup)? Conversly, should ForgetHistory clear the
duplicate flag in the recorded table. That should make the "allow
re-record" to work.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
 system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
 386(486) AT clones"

	- Linus Torvalds, August 1991