[mythtv] RFC on proposed scheduler patch re: hdtv dups

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Jul 28 19:59:42 UTC 2007

On 7/28/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> David Shay wrote:
> > I would like some quick comments on acceptability and/or direction
> > before I go much further with some code work.
> >
> > I would like to add an additional check into the scheduler so that it
> > would consider the hdtv flag.  Basically, I would like to be able to
> > record both the standard-def and high-def versions of a program and
> > not have them considered dups.  Yes, I know you can transcode them
> > down, but if you have enough tuners, why not record both, and the
> > networks have already done the appropriate pan/scan and format
> > conversion for you...
> >
> > Anyway, here were the basic thoughts:
> >
> > * Add an additional flag to the scheduled recording class for duphdtv,
> > add options on recording screen for ignore hdtv/quality or consider
> > hdtv/quality.
> > * Add hdtv flag to oldrecorded table.  Set existing entries to null in
> > dbcheck.cpp
> > * Add logic in scheduler.cpp to do additional checks based on duphdtv setting
>
> The idea of allowing the user to choose to record an alternate
> backup version of the same episode is a good idea but enforcing
> HDTV as the exclusive criteria for this is limiting. The desire
> to have an alternate recording is not exclusive to HDTV and what
> you describe sounds as if it would enforce duplicate recording
> for ever HDTV show. This almost surely isn't what others would
> want and I suspect that you would find that you want backup
> recordings for certain shows and not everything that happens
> to be broadcast in HD.
>
> I'd think a better approach would be to have a per rule option
> to double record it's episodes with the provision that the two
> recordings must be from a different sourceid if the episode is
> on more than one source else a different chanid if the episode
> is on more than one channel (frequency) or at least a different
> input if it is only available from one chanid.

I wasn't very clear.  I was proposing that this was a per-rule option,
not some master setting.  Therefore, you would specify the flag on
those recordings where you wanted HDTV duplicates, but not on those
where you didn't.

I didn't necessarily want to muck any further with specifying
individual sourceid's to achieve this.  The existing logic works very
well for all of that.