[mythtv] Minimizing and restoring an external application by pressing a mythtv menu button?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 2 01:25:40 UTC 2007

On 06/01/2007 09:14 PM, florin baiduc wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 06/01/2007 08:34 PM, hendrixski wrote:
>>> I was thinking about doing something similar with a program
>>> that's written in python, and I started going down the path of
>>> learning how to embed python in C++ so that I could then make a
>>> plugin... but it's way more work than is worth it for something
>>> that just I would be using. I'm on the verge of giving up.
>>>
>>> Your idea is much more feasible for me, to just call the
>>> application from exec() or fork() and just have it launch
>>> separately!
>>>

>> You can use EXEC in the menu theme.  Just make sure your app/script
>>  exits if you want Myth to be usable in the meantime (i.e. have
>> Myth call a script that call your app and then the script exits).
>> If you prefer to block use of Myth, don't exit.
>>

> Yeah, EXEC is all fine and working but I was thinking to add more
> functionality to those buttons (like restoring a previously minimized
>  application). For example change mythmenu to execute this commands
> while pressing the same button: first press- if not started, do an
> EXEC&. Next presses - if visible (or not minimized) minimize (we can
> use the apps controlls for this as well), else if not visible (or
> minimized) restore as the topmost window.
>
> Therefore the developers list question :) Thanks. Florin

Well, the answer for how is on the -users list (in the thread that
Joseph Caputo nicely carried over to the appropriate place for you).
And, it also explains (not directly since the question came after the
answers) why Myth can't control window minimization/maximization...
It's really a -users question.

Mike