[mythtv] Time to Vote? (as Re: Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign)

Jean-Philippe Steinmetz caskater47 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:46:17 UTC 2007

> We do we need to come up with
> some other kind of images for the header for Jean-Philippe's, since the
> ones he used in the mockup have an unknown copyright status.  I
> personally like Ghost's play on the sproingy, but Isaac says he is still
> partial to the current "bubble" form of the sproingy.

Personally I feel the logo as simple text is the most powerful. While the
spriongy thing is cool it's just not as visually effective. I've removed the
images from the banner. It looks very clean and solid but I still like
having some imagery in there.

I did also get a recommendation from the graphic designer at work, which
> is that studies seem to show that (as much as I personally prefer it)
> light-on-dark web pages tend to cause people to browse away faster than
> normal dark-on-light ones.

That's an excellent point and my own experience with studies have shown the
same thing. Although that doesn't mean this can't be broken from time to
time. This is especially true in cinema where most text is light-on-dark.
This is due to the low lighting situation. I originally did it this way to
portray the same low lighting feeling of watching tv.

At this point, I have a couple of requests to you artists..   Aim for
> something similar in layout to Jean-Phillippe's (i.e. get away from
> bloggish layouts), but see what things would look like in a color set
> more inclined to keeping people looking at the page (I'll try to
> rearrange the colors in my "newmyth" page to give some approximate ideas
> of what to aim for).  For the logo, please stick with either the plain
> silver MythTV (like Jean-Philippe and Ghost did) or the current
> bubble+sproingy like Herman's.

So with that i've done some rethinking of my design and re-tooled the color
scheme. Unfortunately keeping the main menu as dark toned and the rest of
the page with lighter tones just doesn't fit well with the existing design.
Instead i've opted to lighten up the entire thing and have come up with
this...

http://caskater4.khram.com/MythTV.org_D1_TopLevel_light.png

It keeps the style reasonably well while bringing it into the dark-on-light
color space.

Jean-Philippe