[mythtv] Making the state of the frontend dependant on the

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Mon Jun 11 20:03:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:54:41 +0200, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2007/6/9, Mike T. <mike at thesandbenders.com>:
>> Has anyone researched or worked on controlling the state/behavior of
>> the MythTV Frontend based on the state of the TV(s) it's supporting?
>
> That is very interesting and it would be great to implement something
> like this. This topic should not disappear with only one answer.

FWIW I do something similar to Robin. My LG TV has a serial port on the
back, so the frontend computer controls the TV power over that which
works very well.

I have the screensaver cut in after 5 minutes on the menus, it does a
random slideshow from our photo album for 10 more minutes, then switches
the TV off. As soon as any button is pressed on the remote the
screensaver stops and the TV is switched straight back on. This beats
the original idea because there's no need to even switch the TV on and
off from the remote.

Previously I tried using the DPMS to control the TV power, which is the
opposite of the original idea. I gave this up due to power consumption.
The 37" LCD TV uses about 150W when on, hardly any less on the first
DPMS state, and still 20W in the maximum DPMS state. By contrast using
the serial port it goes into standby the same as using the remote, which
consumes 4W and is much more reasonable.

As far as I know the computer cannot query the TV power state over DPMS.

Cheers,

Martin.