[mythtv] Time to Vote? (as Re: Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jun 21 22:17:32 UTC 2007

Herman Kuiper wrote:
> Wouldn't such menus require some kind of scripting to get it to work on
> not-so-much-compliant browsers? Or would the fallback be to have all
> menus visible on "other" browsers?

IE 6 needs help.  Other browsers should be fine without scripting.

> The latest one would be a frontpage only, as I was trying to figure out
> what "less blog-like" would be :-) As second-level pages would have way
> more content (I guess) to use a "fill-the-box" approach, there wouldn't
> be any on those.

Yeah.  That's really my only issue.  I'm a big fan of certain key
sections always being in the same place.  For instance, the links to
different sections should always be in the same place on every page.
Left-nav menus work great for this, but they can waste a lot of
horizontal space if the page is long (leaving a big white space on one
side or the other).

> Also, what do Trac and Wiki expect, i.e. what kind of "skinning" is
> possible there?

Both can be skinned, but since mediawiki likes a left nav by default, it
would be nice now to have to reinvent that, and just let our global
site-specific stuff exist at the top.  Trac is almost entirely top-nav,
which makes it easy to integrate with other top-nav layouts (take a look
at the support/dev link on http://pidgin.im).

-Chris