[mythtv] Using commercial PVR (Topfield, Humax, etc) as a frontend

migmog migmog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:24:42 UTC 2007

Hi Mythers

In my house, there are certain individuals who will NOT give up their
channel hopping habit, and myth can't cut it.  So, I'm considering
buying a commercial PVR, such as a Topfield or Humax box.

However as far as I can see there is not one of those boxes has the
one feature which to me is the killer app that myth has - web based
control.

So. Suppose I keep my mythbackend box; has anyone tried using a
commercial PVR as a frontend for myth recordings? Any experiences
you'd like to share? Is there a decent PVR with an ethernet port? I
know you can hook up the Topfield via USB, but that's kludgy.

migmog