[mythtv] add support for SQLite?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 3 07:55:44 UTC 2007

On 03/02/2007 06:55 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> James Chapman wrote:
>
>> Paul Harrison wrote:

>>> There was some testing done about a year ago by Isaacs brother looking
>>> at the possibility of using SQLite but the conclusion was it was just
>>> two slow compared to MySQL.
>>>
>> Was any work done on integrating it into MythTV? Perhaps there's a
>> branch in svn that would be a good place to start? I don't want to
>> repeat any work that has already been done...
>>
> From what Isaac said I don't think any work was done to integrate
> anything into Myth. The initial test was to get SQLite  to run the main
> scheduler query and to check that the results were identical which was
> done OK but it was considered just too slow to be of any use so the idea
> was abandoned.
>

>> Which functions of MythTV create most load on the database?
>>
> I don't really know the answer to this. Possibly anything that queries
> the program table like the EPG or running mythfilldatabase generates
> lots of queries.

Besides, if you're really interested in getting away from the separate
MySQL installation/configuration, why not help out with the
testing/effort to move to embedded MySQL?  I'm pretty sure you'll be
able to find some people with some good info (i.e. that may have gone a
good ways down the embedded MySQL road) on Myth's IRC channels.

Mike