[mythtv] add support for SQLite?

James Chapman jchapman at katalix.com
Sat Mar 3 23:07:51 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 03:53:48PM +0000, James Chapman wrote:
>> My motivation for trying SQLite isn't to avoid a separate database, it's
>> to reduce filesystem/memory footprint. If SQLite was abandoned only for
>
> I have 272 GigaBytes of recordings (so 200+ hours of video) and only
> 110 MegaBytes of MySQL database.  So my database takes up less than
> the equivalent of 15 minutes of video.
>
> Converting is not worth the effort just to safe space/memory.

I'm not trying to reduce the size of the database either; it's the
filesystem size (i.e. executable/library code size) and run-time memory
footprint that matters to me. Specifically, I'm trying to pave the way
for enlightened commercial STB suppliers to build and sell commercial
STBs with MythTV inside. Right now, the hardware costs are too high for
commercial MythTV-based STBs to be viable. Not enough people would pay
double(?) the price of alternative products just for access to the cool
features that MythTV offers. However, with some tweaks, I'm convinced
that MythTV could be made to fit the hardware price point for deployment
in next generation, commercial STBs. One tweak is to find a database
with a smaller footprint.

There are Linux-based dual HD PVRs in the field whose entire root
filesystem is stored in 16M flash (compressed) and use a CPU with less
than 64MB RAM... :)

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd