[mythtv] add support for SQLite?

James Chapman jchapman at katalix.com
Sun Mar 4 17:57:24 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 11:07:51PM +0000, James Chapman wrote:
>>> Converting is not worth the effort just to safe space/memory.
>> I'm not trying to reduce the size of the database either; it's the
>> filesystem size (i.e. executable/library code size) and run-time memory
>> footprint that matters to me. Specifically, I'm trying to pave the way
>> for enlightened commercial STB suppliers to build and sell commercial
>> STBs with MythTV inside. Right now, the hardware costs are too high for
>> commercial MythTV-based STBs to be viable. Not enough people would pay
>> double(?) the price of alternative products just for access to the cool
>> features that MythTV offers. However, with some tweaks, I'm convinced
>> that MythTV could be made to fit the hardware price point for deployment
>> in next generation, commercial STBs. One tweak is to find a database
>> with a smaller footprint.
>
> So doubling flash to 32MB to hold a compressed embedded MySQL along with
> the extra 32-64MB of RAM is going to double the price of this PVR?

Er, no. :) I was talking about hardware/software costs in general when I
mentioned the 2x price comparison, not just flash/ram size.

An option to use SQLite instead of MySQL at compile time would make Myth
more appealing to STB makers. It's not the only thing they're concerned
about, but it's one of them. Of course, most PC-based users would stick
with MySQL.

> I'd
> venture to say that the MPEG-2 license is going to cost more than those
> two chips combined.

Comes with the hardware system-on-chips that they use. The cost of that
device, with built-in hardware encoders/decoders/CPU/IR etc, is way less
than a typical x86/AMD CPU.

> Don't forget about the Qt license as well.  Memory
> is probably the least thing holding a MythTV STB back, there are much
> more costlier things that would make up the final price.

That's why I used the phrase "enlightened STB makers" - if the STB
software that uses Qt is open source, there's no license. :)

Anyways, the reason for my original post was to find out if anyone was
already working on SQLite so as to avoid doing duplicate work. It seems
no. So I'll go away and develop a patch.

Thanks for your feedback!

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd