[mythtv] add support for SQLite?

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Sun Mar 4 23:45:35 UTC 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007 17:13, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> > I'm not trying to reduce the size of the database either; it's the
> > filesystem size (i.e. executable/library code size) and run-time memory
> > footprint that matters to me. Specifically, I'm trying to pave the way
> > for enlightened commercial STB suppliers to build and sell commercial
> > STBs with MythTV inside. Right now, the hardware costs are too high for
> > commercial MythTV-based STBs to be viable. Not enough people would pay
> > double(?) the price of alternative products just for access to the cool
> > features that MythTV offers. However, with some tweaks, I'm convinced
> > that MythTV could be made to fit the hardware price point for deployment
> > in next generation, commercial STBs. One tweak is to find a database
> > with a smaller footprint.
>
> So doubling flash to 32MB to hold a compressed embedded MySQL along with
> the extra 32-64MB of RAM is going to double the price of this PVR?  I'd
> venture to say that the MPEG-2 license is going to cost more than those
> two chips combined.  Don't forget about the Qt license as well.  Memory
> is probably the least thing holding a MythTV STB back, there are much
> more costlier things that would make up the final price.
>

> > There are Linux-based dual HD PVRs in the field whose entire root
> > filesystem is stored in 16M flash (compressed) and use a CPU with less
> > than 64MB RAM... :)
>
> I'm betting they don't use Qt. :)  Their schedulers aren't near as
> complex either.  It's pretty easy to use a low-end DB if your scheduler
> only consists of exact timeslot and title matches with a little
> duplicate checking thrown in for good measure.

For an embedded system I just bought (IDE) flash in 1-off from the taiwanese
manufacturer for (US) $19 for 256M. I don't believe this is significant, but
in any event you still need storage for the recordings eg LG and Sony PVR's
with 160G and 250G HardDisks.

So.. why bother with flash?? just use a small partition of the hard disk.
The Qt license is a one-off of $1000s. Also insignificant!

Lets stay focused on the real issues, rather than being obsessed by "a fart in
a fan factory" and doing a gnome/kde waste of resources!

James