[mythtv] Schema updates

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 5 05:30:24 UTC 2007

On 03/04/2007 08:41 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> EVEN IF they
> use packages, what prevents someone from installing a too-new package
> on a FE and thereby screwing his MBE?  -That- is what I'm trying to
> solve here.  (Or, alternatively, someone simply plugs in a new FE
> [visiting laptop, new machine, whatever] and forgets/doesn't know that
> the FE is running a newer version---wham, the MBE gets irreversibly
> updated, forcing updates to all -other- FE's/SBE's.)

Trying to be constructive here...  For those who have any fear of an
accidental upgrade as described above (i.e. someone sticks a KnoppMyth
LiveCD into a computer or brings over a laptop with MythTV installed and
it tries to connect to your DB), simply modifying your install to use
anything other than the default DB password will prevent any unwanted DB
upgrades as the new machine--until configured with the other
password--wouldn't have permission to even connect to your DB.

Granted, this doesn't solve the problem of accidentally upgrading one of
your own machines you've configured to use the other password, but it's
a start.

Mike