[mythtv] Schema updates

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:26:14 UTC 2007

    > Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:08:52 -0500
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > My only remaining concern would be the possibility of the MySQL server's
    > crashing during a REPAIR--at which point another REPAIR should be run
    > before the table on which the REPAIR was executing when the DB crashed
    > should be run immediately (before accessing the data).  I still think
    > that hiding a REPAIR is a dangerous thing (as someone who doesn't know
    > it's happening has no chance of knowing what to do if something goes
    > wrong), and Myth can't guarantee a REPAIR early enough to fix it
    > automatically.

Hmm.  That first sentence is a little scrambled, but I think I know
what you're saying.  Maybe it's something we can (somehow; I have no
idea how) encourage packagers to put in the pre-install script:  a
message saying, "Have you repaired any broken tables yet?" with some
instructions.  I can't say that solution fills me with glee.  And it's
a very partial stopgap.

    > Yeah.  It does happen.  However, if we could convince you and James
    > Chapman to work on the embedded MySQL thing, the whole issue could
    > disappear and the result is a much cleaner solution.  ;)

...oh, you mean the upgrade issue, not the broken-table issue, I
assume.  (Does embedded MySQL have a solution the latter?  Or do
users still need to somehow do the maintenance?  Or hopefully Myth
could, if it picks good times to do it.)

Well, one thing at a time.  If I can get a patch accepted for
accidental upgrades, that might at least hold us until the EDB,
which I assume isn't going into 0.21.  An accidental-update patch
would hopefully be simple enough to make it in, if I get to it (or
somebody else does :) and 0.21 isn't coming out real soon (which I
assume it's not).