[mythtv] Recording audio only from an STB

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Wed Mar 7 19:25:47 UTC 2007

On 3/7/07, Robin Gilks wrote:
> My sat provider has some 20 'radio' channels that present a fixed image on
> screen whilst playing a stereo soundtrack.
>
> If I want to record this, I use the same connection as I use for anything
> else from my STB by going into the S-Video input and external audio
> connections on my pvr150 card. The resultant recording is 1.5Gigs of still
> frame video and a couple of 100's megs of audio.
>
> Any ideas on how I can either not record the video stream at all for some
> channels or reclaim the space easily and automagically. Would transcoding
> reduce the video portion much and still allow playback?
I haven't actually tried it, but you should be able to use
'mythreplex' to split the encoded audio stream from the encoded video
stream.  I'm not sure if it'll be playable without a header, but I
would think so.  You should be able to call this via the jobqueue
(you'd probably need a little script to only run it if the channel was
one of your audio channels).  It's just a hack, but it should allow
you to get at the audio without saving the video, and still allow the
PVR to do the audio encoding.