[mythtv] Padding of recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 7 22:30:11 UTC 2007

On 03/07/2007 05:03 PM, Martin Long wrote:

> I’ve noticed recently that the automatic padding that I’ve set (5 mins
> before and after) is not being added if there is a recording before or
> after irrespective of which channel it is on. I have 4 tuners, and
> there’s almost always 2 free. My impression was that this would be the
> case ONLY if that recording was on the same channel, is this not the
> case? I’m guessing that the scheduler ignores padding when allocating
> tuners?
>
> I’m wondering if the time for allocating tuners ‘on-the-fly’ might be
> with us (so that padding can simply be preserved by allocating a free
> tuner if one is available). Tuners would still be ‘loosly’ allocated
> by the scheduler in the same way, to flag up conflicts etc, but these
> could be changed at record time by the backend – pretty much ignored
> in fact.

Please read the plethora of threads on this subject in the mythtv-users
and mythtv-dev list archives.

The short answer is, "No--it's not that time." The reason is because not
all capture cards are created equal and users who want the behavior you
request can get it by simply specifying an appropriate start early/end
late time on the desired recording rules.

Mike