[mythtv] Padding of recordings

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Mar 8 03:45:21 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Or the user could tell Myth what she wants using start early/end late
> (either positive or negative) on the recording rules (including
> recording overrides when appropriate)...

Start early/end late, as they are now, don't specify the padding info as a
function of the right factors.  How early and late I want to record does not
really depend on what program it is.  It's more likely to depend on what
channel it's on, since some channels are more likely to run early or late than
others.

I agree Myth, as it is now, has all the necessary functionality for scheduling
whatever you want.  But it's not as convenient as it could be, because you
can't specify any policy for handling conflicts that involves dropping padding.
 You have to explicitly set up overrides for them.

I'm not complaining.  Since I bought a third tuner, I only get 2 or 3 conflicts
per week, and it's not usually hard to resolve them with overrides.  I
appreciate Myth's scheduling approach that lets me specify what programs I want
to record and decides for me how best to record them.  I'm only pointing out
that start early and end late should really be specified per channel, rather
than per program.  And also that padding on a higher priority show should not
be dropped to make room for a lower priority show, but that, as the OP said, it
would be useful for Myth to be able to automatically drop a program's padding
if that's the only way to schedule that program.

--
Peter Schachte              In the post-Cold War era, the United States
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        needs to promote the development of democracy