[mythtv] Hybrid card - MythSocket timeouts on SET_CHANNEL

Jerry G jerry.tk+mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:01:12 UTC 2007

Hi all!

I have some problems using ASUSTeK MyCinema P7131 Hybrid card
with recent SVN. This card is saa7134 based hybrid DVB/analog type, I
use patched
mythtv-setup (as decribed here :
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2617#comment:8)
to be able to configure this card properly.

I have problems when switching between digital and analog part of the card,
basically the symptoms are very similar to:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3079   or
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1133#comment:6

The main problem is that the card itself is really slow when switching between
digital and analog. It takes some 17 seconds or so, while myth is hardcoded
to 7 seconds (quick) timeout for RemoteEncoder::SendReceiveStringList.
It results in MythSocket timeout errors after SET_CHANNEL which
would involve switching from digital to analog or vice versa. Then it
crashes NVP with
"Unknown error, exiting decoder" message, probably after trying to decode
meaningless data coming from not-yet-finished-switching card. That would
explain why foom's "retune-until-locked" NVP patch worked for him.

I was able to work around this problem by disabling quick MythSocket timeouts
in RemoteEncoder::SendReceiveStringList. This allowed me to swich
between both parts of the card properly, but I am not sure it that is
the correct way how to fix the problem.

When switching channels using this workaround there's another issue with OSD.
If I just 'toggle inputs' using C key, OSD is properly updated with
input and signal
monitor info, but when I switch channels using either up/down keys or
channel number, input and signal monitor info is never updated. It seems to me
that it might be caused by some timing problem in driver, but as long as
TV::ToggleInputs() works fine, maybe TV::ChangeChannels() could be somehow
fixed too. I just don't know how to fix that.

I use gentoo 2.6.19 and current v4l-dvb drivers from linuxtv.org.
I'll be able to supply detailed logs later should anybody need them.
Of course I will create/update any necessary tickets but I thought
I would ask for an expert advice first.

Thanks for any help!

Jerry