[mythtv] Proposed commercial detector

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Mar 23 00:23:00 UTC 2007

James Armstrong wrote:
>> * On Fri Mar 16, 2007 at 02:39:50PM -0400, Justin Moore wrote:
>>

>>> would be a small modification of the station logo detector code.  At
>>> least in the US, when a show comes back from commerical it usually
>>> throws the rating  -- Y, Y7, PG, MA, etc, see
>>>

>> Been thought of.  In fact, I have hooks in the original flagger
>> for this, I just never wrote up suitable code for detecting this
>> so it isn't in Myth currently.  Got sidetracked I guess. :)
>>

> Isn't the rating info also transmitted on the VBI / CC or on the digital
> mpeg2 stream somewhere? Can this be used instead of detecting the rating
> logo?

Sort of.  When I expanded the VBI output (run mythbackend with -v vbi to
see what it finds) you'll see one of two things:

The rating is transmitted all through the program, not just in commercials
The rating is frequently mistransmitted or a generic rating is sent

It isn't all that useful for commflagging

Kevin