[mythtv] sports/tv api

Mark Phillip mark at areyouwatchingthis.com
Wed Mar 28 18:16:06 UTC 2007

Hey folks, my name is Mark and run a Sports/TV mashup that has an API
that I think this list might find interesting.

The site is called areyouwatchingthis.com, and at its core is an engine
that uses algorithms to analyze sports games in progress, and rates them
based on how exciting they are.  A pitcher with a no-hitter through 7, a
college team getting upset, or a game going into double overtime, are
the types of games that score really highly.  We also have a data feed
from Zap2It, so if a great game is available on the user's cable
provider, they'll get a text message or email telling them to get their
butt on the couch and turn on channel 28.

The API exposes this integration of Sports scores and TV listings by
giving score information, time left, the station it can be viewed on,
and probably most interestingly, the relative "excitement rating" of the
game.  I'm obviously biased, but features like being able to pull the
game scores right into the program guide, automatically recording as
soon as a game goes into OT, or just a simple alert when something
exciting is happening on another channel, would be pretty killer.

I've attached a couple API sample responses to show what it looks
like.   The API is powering Flash widgets and a Mozilla add-on for
RUWT?, but the API hasn't been publicly announced as I'm still making
tweaks to it as new features pop up.  I'd happily add (or remove)
anything if someone on this list wanted to create a plugin for Myth.
Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Thanks much,
Mark Phillip
RUWT?
areyouwatchingthis.com