[mythtv] mythtv on frame buffer questions...

Dan A. Dickey ddickey at savvis.net
Fri Mar 30 15:53:51 UTC 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007 10:33:51 am Alan Calvert wrote:
> Dan A. Dickey wrote:
> > I'm trying to get mythtv running on a frame buffer, and here's how
> > I'm trying:
> >
> > 	- I'm using the mythtv-vid branch
> > 	- I have qt-3.3.8 installed
> > 	- I have DirectFB-1.0.0 installed
> > 	- I have what I believe to be a working frame buffer driver installed
> > 		(df_dok, df_* things work)
> >
> > Questions I have are:
> > 	- How should I configure mythtv?
> > 		I'm presently doing '--enable-directfb --disable-x11 --disable-xv
> > 		--disable-xrandr'   However, running mythfrontend gets a:
> > 			mythfrontend: cannot connect to X server  when I do not have
> > 			a DISPLAY set.
> > 	- Should I be using qt-embedded instead of qt?  In addition to qt?
> >
> > Help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
> > 	-Dan
>
> hi, I've been doing much the same thing, so for what it's worth I'll share
> what I know (and some of what I don't!).
>
> You're building against a qt-x11-3.3.8, right? Two things there. Qt-x11
> fully expects to have x11 underneath it, hence the demand for an X server.
> However, with mythtv you're you're building it to drive straight to the
> frame buffer courtesy of directfb. The two expectations don't quite match
> up.
>
> The Qt/Embedded docs say that "-DQWS -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" is required
> for compilation (for speed & size), but you simply _can't_ build myth with
> those settings (myth linking fails in the absence of run time type
> information). I've myth built with qt-embedded, and qt mostly worked.
> Occasionally it failed to paint the screen properly. Sadly, I have not yet
> got myth presenting actual tv with that setup. I figure that's due to my
> sad competence level rather than the overall frame buffer approach.
>
> Another option that looked _really_ promising was qt-xll combined with
> XDirectFB. To me, that approach shows the most promise. Again, I've had
> that doing everything _but_ show tv.
>
> That's not quite what you asked for, but I hope it helps.

Alan,
Thank you - this was very helpful to me.  I understand much better
what is going on and what I need to do.  Yes - I meant qt-x11-3.3.8 -
I'm running gentoo, which "leaves out" the x11 part for the ebuild.
Anyway, I'll be deleting qt-x11 and going back to working with qt-embedded
again.

The reason I'm doing it this way is that I believe the fb driver I have
probably works better than the x11 driver I have for my system.
It's a VIA EPIA EX15000 motherboard, which has a CX700M2 for a
graphics chip on it.  I'm trying to go out to a high-def projector with it.
I've had the x11 driver working, but it doesn't look nice and is very
unstable.  So much so that I'm willing to try and get the frame buffer
going.

Thanks again - this was helpful.
	-Dan

--