[mythtv] Zoom -vs- Aspect -- need a custom setting

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Fri May 4 16:50:38 UTC 2007

I have a strange TV.  It's *supposed* to be 1080i, but it only has
enough dots for 720p (1300ish x whatever).  And -- to boot -- it can
only handle 1024x768 via HDMI or VGA inputs.  (I ordered a DVI ->
component cable -- so -- hopefully that will fix things when the cable
gets here)

Anyway -- my problem:

I have more than one High Def tuner.  I have a HDHomerun, and I also get
HD via Firewire off of my cable box.  The HD from HDHomerun becomes
nicely fullscreen at a 4:3 zoom (or a fill)  The HD from the firewire
signal *always* has top and bottom bars.  The only way I've found to get
rid of it is to mess with the vertical percentage (page 7 or so of setup
/ tv / playback).  If I set this to 12-15%, it becomes full screen, but
all other tuners are cropped.

So -- I need an option for true fullscreen.

I discussed this a bit on the -users list, and decided that it would
probably be best to just implement the feature as a new custom zoom:

   *  Add a Setup GUI entry to assign a custom zoom vertical and
horizontal stretch (could be %tage based)
   *  Add a new "Custom Zoom" option to the list of zooms.

At least, that was all *I* could think of.  But, they warned me of all
the discussions of zoom -vs- aspect ratios, so I thought I'd mail here,
and see what you guys thought, before I got started.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

--

David Frascone

             You have two choices for dinner: Take it or Leave it.