[mythtv] Zoom -vs- Aspect -- need a custom setting

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri May 4 20:36:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 14:14 -0400, David Frascone wrote:

> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like your xorg.conf is missconfigured. You must tell
> > Xorg what the display's physical aspect ratio is as appears
> > it can't query this from the hardware. Once X knows that,
> > MythTV will know that the pixels are not square and will adjust
> > accordingly.
> >
> > If you are using multiple displays and using a Xinerama to
> > span the screens you need to tell MythTV the aspect ratio
> > of the display which will be displaying the video, this is
> > in the frontend configuration.
> >
> > Now that you know the basic problem, search the users mailing
> > list, this has been discussed there a few times.
> >

> Hmmm . . . I have added this to the xorg.conf, as suggested by -users
> people:
>     Option    "DPI"  "346 x 195"

See Rob Smith's comment..

> But it didn't help -- although -- your mention of xinerama caught my
> attention.
> I am using twinview to simultaneously display on my screen and on
> S-Video -- could that be what's causing the confusion?  xorg.conf attached.

It could be, I think twinview enables the nvidia driver's
internal Xinerama support. (With the nVidia drivers you
can use either the Xorg Xinerama, or nVidia's Xinerama
extension depending on the xorg.conf). If you compile
MythTV with Xinerama support you can configure it under:
 Utilities/Setup:Setup:Appearance
on the second screen it will say:
 Xinerama screen: [number]
 Monitor Aspect Ratio: [ratio]

Set the Xinerama screen to 1 or 2 depending on which screen
is first, and set the aspect ratio to "16:9".

-- Daniel