[mythtv] Building MythTV under Cygwin

Andrei Tanas andrei at tanas.ca
Sat May 5 23:33:53 UTC 2007

I have submitted a patch under ticket #1590 ("Building with cygwin")
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1590 - "cygwin-may07.diff". The patch

allows for fully-automated building of the current svn version.
Unfortunately, none of the applications work, including mythuitest -
they start, connect to the database, read settings and when they are
about to show some GUI, segfault. I suspect that this is more of a
problem with QT, but haven't debugged it yet.

Speaking of qt - qt-3.3 for windows is not supported very well, I could
not figure out how to build a native (no X) port on cygwin (similarly, I
could not figure out how to build DirectFB version with no X
dependencies for Linux), so here's a question - are there plans on
migrating to qt 4? Are there specific issues preventing from reworking
the code to make it compatible with qt 3 and 4? Is all UI code in
libmythui? How hard would it be to switch to v.4 maintaining backward
compatibility?

Regards,
Andrei.