[mythtv] UPnP, Thin Clients, UPnP Remote & WizD...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Thu May 10 14:40:09 UTC 2007

Hi...

Thought I would ask before jumping into things (dare I say MythTV UPnP
development?).

I have a MythTV RH/FC5 box and a number of thin clients.  Recently I
tried a Galaxy 3500 IPTV (thin client) / WizD (server) combination to
play AVI offerings that my MythTV front ends can play but are (I
believe) unavailable to a thin client who communicates w/MythTV using UPnP.

What I found (I think) is that WizD can provide not only content but
custom web like menus to the Galaxy 3500 IPTV box.  Now I thought that
these were provided by using the UPnP Remote protocol.  But I think
someone told me (here?) that WizD used a proptriatary
Sigma-Design/Syabas protocol?  Is that right?  I hope not.  Because if
we can extend MythTV's UPnP features to support displaying custom menus
on commercially available hardware / software that used a free & widely
available protocol - that would be something.

(Yes, I am fishing for answers!  Who know about this stuff?  Save me
(and other's) some time... please, thanks.)