[mythtv] advice wanted - building my own remote control

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Thu May 10 21:16:27 UTC 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007 02:43, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 07/05/07, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:
> > have info on the sony protocol and RC5 (which is what a lot of devices
> > use). first thing is to get anything work and go from there.
>
> If going the IR route I would suggest using the RC5 protocol and
> having the remote directly compatible with the Hauppauge IR receiver -
> there's a *big* market there :)
>
> Buttons I would like to see on a dedicated for-MythTV remote (see
> keys.txt for more) include:
>
> 'Eject'
> 'Menu'
> 'Info'
> 'Details'
> 'Select'/'tag' in addition to 'Play'
> 'Input'
> 'Timestretch +/-'
> 'Zoom' for playback zoom
> 'Widescreen' to cycle between FS/WS/zoom modes
> 'Audio'
> 'Edit'
> 'Volume +/-' independent of TV itself
> 'Sleep timer'
> 'Jump +/-'
> Usual DVD controls
> Teletext/FastText/Interactive controls
> 'Favourite'
> Picture adjustment
> 'PiP' focus/swap
> 'Home' and 'End'
>
> I currently use the Sky Navigator remote with concealed keyboard in
> the lounge, and whilst I can use the keyboard for non-bound remote
> buttons, the remote was designed for a single purpose - a Sky box - so
> having some of these keys on a regular remote would allow immediate
> access to these functions.
>
> Good luck with the project, if you need testers I'd be very interested :)
>
> Nick

thanks for those suggestions
i reckon i have 64 keys to play with
just got the switches today
i'm going to breadboard up the design this weekend and then start on thumping
the various pieces of code that i have.

just order some rotary encoders
might use them instead of volume up/down and even channel up/down
not sure about the ergonomics of that though

atmel publish code to do RC5, so that should be easy (famous last words)

regards
--
simon