[mythtv] advice wanted - building my own remote control

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 10 22:33:13 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> Using a rotary encoder for volume would be a nice ergonomically, but
> could take up too much space on the remote depending on button size. I
> wouldn't use it for channel changing, which should (IMO) be a clear
> single up/down event. Just imagine the confusion MythTV could have
> when trying to change channel (inherent tuning delay) when the target
> channel keeps changing.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Perhaps is Myth is modified to show a splash screen
(e.g. the channel's icon) while using a rotary channel changer could
actually make for a very nice UI... Yes the tuning delay is there but
moving quickly through a dozen channels would become very easy. If the
rotary thing clicked (e.g. felt tactile) then it would be pretty easy to
limit it to one channel in either direction.

All that said the remote would be pretty crazy if it had this ;)

Col