[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13440 by danielk

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Fri May 11 11:35:04 UTC 2007

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> I have a similar situation and I handle that by using one source of EPG
>> information (the best available one, which in my case is XMLTV from web)
>> for all three channels thus Daniel's new algorithm would work for me.
>> Wouldn't it make sense for you to use the same EPG if the channels'
>> content is really identical?
>>
> If all three sources had the same channels on them....
>
> Analog cable < digital cable
> SAT contains some of the cable channels + a lot others.

Sure. I think you can manually set which channels get EIT information
and which don't. I have disabled the EIT for SAT channels that I receive
also in other ways and populate them manually with the information from
the XMLTV grabber instead.

> My protest is the assumption that on all occurances of the same channel,
> the channum will be the same. Having them different results for me in
> the following nice behaviours:
> - easy to select whether to watch from analog of digital (cable or sat)
> - easy to program preference on what source to record from
> - easy to see whether EPG data is available on all
> - i can see them separate in mythweb. So far, for equal channum mythweb
> will show only 1 entry. If they are truly the same, that is correct. I
> like to be able to easily check from which source a program will be
> recorded though....

I can see your point but I also like the scheduler to automatically pick
other source of same information if I happen to watch live TV or just
added another recording in the meanwhile. It saves me from resolving the
conflicts. I keep all the identical channel's channums same to not
confuse EPG readers but it really makes it complicated to select the
LiveTV source (I tried to explain it to my wife twice but failed). As
for choosing the right (or the best) recording source - there are two
level of priorities - one in source table and another one in the channel
table. I don't know exactly how they work but I plan on asking this in
the user list sooner or later...

I re-read Daniel's original post and I believe that if you keep the EPG
identical (which I still believe is a good idea) then you are not
affected even if you set the channums different. So I'd rather focus on
reusing the available EPG information from one source to other identical
channels automagically, as John pointed out).

Petr