[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13440 by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri May 11 14:59:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:34 +0200, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
> >       Author: danielk
> >         Date: 2007-05-09 16:10:31 +0000 (Wed, 09 May 2007)
> > New Revision: 13440
> >    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13440
>>
> > Refs #3326. Fixes channel equivalency based on discussion on dev mailing list.
> >
> > Instead of assuming that channels with the same callsign have the same programming we do two things.
> >  * If the channum and the callsign are the same and one channel is busy and not another we replace the busy one with the non-busy one in the guide, including showing the guide data for the new channel instead of the old.
> >

> I would say you have a hard-coded USA assumption here. In Europe at
> least the channum can be anything, and is often used by people to arange
> the order of channels to their liking. This is true whether you are
> talking analog TV or DVB.
>
> Also, how do you handle the following situation, where a channel can be
> received from 3 sources:
> - analog cable
> - digital cable
> - digital Satellite

This doesn't change how channel equivalence is determined
by the scheduler, this is only for LiveTV. In the EPG we group
together channels with the same channel number and callsign so
that you don't end up with 10 channel 3's all showing the same
programming. If you want all the channel 3's with the same
callsign listed separately all you need to do is renumber them.
You could call them 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc. or 1003, 2003, etc.

> I have some channels like that.... And although i have manually ensured
> the callsigns are the same on all three, the EPG often are not, as the
> sources for them are different:
>
> Which means the descriptions on the programs can be 3 times different,
> as the two EIT are coming from different sources (the SAT broadcaster is
> not the same as the CABLE broadcaster, and what they put into the EIT
> can be quit different. Even the titles can be diffeent (longer or shorter)).

You can either give them the same channel number, and then the
LiveTV EPG will show the listings of the first one it finds
that is not currently in use. Or, you could list them under
different numbers, and all the ones in use will be marked by
an "X", but the ones that aren't in use will not be so marked
and will be tunable. By having different listings you lose is
the ability for MythTV to determine that 1003 WXYZ on source 1
is effectively usable, even though you are recording on it,
because the same programming is available from 2003 WXYZ on
source 2 for a two hour period; this is a enhancement which you
won't be able to enjoy, but you don't lose anything. If you
number 2003 as 1003, the EPG will just show you the listings for
channel 1003 WXYZ on source 2 instead of the listings for
channel 1003 WXYZ on source 1 when we all the recorders that are
connected to source 1 are busy, this is an enhancement you will
be able to enjoy if you choose to. :)

-- Daniel