[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 11 18:12:52 UTC 2007

> On 5/10/07, Jean-Philippe Steinmetz <caskater47 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Isaac has actually come close to this a couple of times.  MythTV is
>> open
>> > source because it's the "right" thing to do, and it means less work
>> for
>> > him to do on his project if other people are helping take up some of
>> the
>> > slack.  I don't think anyone actually FEELS that way, though.
>> >
>> > ... will reply to your earlier post when I have some time after work.
>> >
>> > -Chris
>> >

>> Thats understandable. I'm not really trying to suggest commercializing
>> myth
>> to the point of world domination. What i'm suggesting is simply making
>> things a little easier for the noob whether they be a seasoned developer
>> or
>> not. When I was first introduced to myth I found it far more difficult
>> get running perfectly than any app should be. Another good description
>> i've
>> heard of that i've even used myself is "impossible to set up, but once
>> done,
>> impossible to give up."
>>
>> Jean-Philippe

Like any other well engineered Unix application, the defaults
in Myth should represent the most generally useful (and used)
configurations. This is a packaging issue more than anything
else.

The difficulty of some parts of MythTV and the supporting
software & hardware can't be avoided because you are your own
systems integrator. Some things are simply beyond the control
of the myth guys in this respect.

mysql is problematic in this respect. I just had to do manual
crash recovery on my backend last night due to mysql not having
proper defaults. This is something that would be seen by most
people as a MythTV problem eventhough it really isn't.