[mythtv] MythTV on low cost embedded hardware

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Sun May 13 16:41:56 UTC 2007

On 5/17/06, Thomas Pham <pham_thomas at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in building a low cost non-PC MythTV frontend box.
> Recently, I saw that Philips implemented MythTV frontend on their Nexperia
> PNX8550 chip which is a STB chip.
>
> http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/ELC2006Presentations?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=MythTVonNexperia-CELF-05.pdf
>
> Does anyone know of other low cost embedded implementations of MythTV?

That's an interesting presentation.  It sounds like they use MythTV
internally, as a test platform.   Do they have that code and/or the
hardware platform accessible externally?    It said in slide 32, that
the device "Can play MPEG2-HD streams".

I've been looking into the UPnP HD devices, and while they show a lot
of potential, their video playback controls (FF/REW, bookmark, skip
commercials) are too limited to be useful yet.

The Roku HD-1000 was an interesting option.. an open Linux platform
with third party apps, including the MythRoku frontend software.
Unfortunately, that device was discontinued long ago.  Maybe one of
the KISS / Linksys devices that others mentioned could be used.
Until I can find a good embedded option, I'll stick with my Mac Mini
with the OSX frontend.