[mythtv] MythTV on low cost embedded hardware

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon May 14 00:08:50 UTC 2007

Hi Steve...

Steve Daniels wrote:
> stuart wrote:
>>> Is this one an option?
>>> http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=UK%
>>> 2FLayout&cid=1150490629179&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=29
>>> 17960635B02
>> This looks like another Syabas / Sigma Designs player.
>>
>>> It can decode almost everything including HD mpeg4
>>>
>>> Maximum flexibility
>>> Play absolutely everything in your library. KiSS DP-600 and play all media
>>> formats including DVDs, CDs, Windows Media 9, Nero Digital, DivX High
>>> Definition, MPEG-1,2,4, XviD, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Jpeg and PNG Picture files.
>>> Featuring playback for Nero Digital Format, we have included all of your
>>> encoding software: Nero ShowTime 2-CE, Recode 2-CE and MediaHome
>>>
>>> And the source code is available.
>>> http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=UK%
>>> 2FLayout&cid=1129319214597&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
>>> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/opensourcecode/KiSS/KiSS_GPL.zip
>>>
>>> And I think for a HD capable player this one is pretty cheap.
>>> http://www.divxplayer.nl/2006/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_
>>> id=836
>> Yes, but has anyone actually created an image from these SDKs that ran
>> the box.  So far, I have only heard about enough code provided by
>> vendors of these Syabas / Sigma Design players to comply with (or come
>> close to complying with) the GPL.  Let us know if you have heard of any
>> project that has done otherwise!
>>

> Hi Stuart,
>
> Using KML you might not have to actually run mythfrontend on it.. see my
> last post on this topic :-)
>
> Steve Daniels

What Steve was referring to above:
---
KML is a form of XML that the KiSS media player understands. It looks
like this little cheap device could be VERY powerful, even without
modifying it's firmware/os etc.
---

Steve, can you explain to us what KML is?  I am thinking that you may be
referring to the HTML extensions that are used by WizD and Swisscenter
to offer up custom menus to most if not all Saybas / Sigma Designs based
clients.

I haven't looked into this, but I think the problem with this is that
most interactions with the server is off of web like pages.  So, 30
second skip, for example, is difficult if not impossible to implement.