[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:34:18 UTC 2007

On 4/13/07, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> Welcome to the official thread about the mythtv.org website redesign.
>
> Fyi, what is below is similar to the note I sent out before, but does
> contain a few edits and new info, so please read.
>
> To reiterate, I am a fairly experienced web designer (I've been doing it
> for about 13 years), and although I would certainly appreciate help with
> the html/css/javascript side of things, I'm mostly looking for someone
> with art skills (which I do not have).
>
> I would really like to see the redesign of mythtv.org be able to spread
> to trac and the wiki as well (unified header/menu), but it doesn't
> necessarily have to do so.
>
> You can see a VERY rough sketch of my own designs at
> http://newmyth.forevermore.net/ -- I stopped working on this when I
> realized that I would need some artwork.  I also have some mockups done
> by Justin Hornsby (juski in irc / one of which you can see at
> http://www.juski.co.uk/mockup11.png). Other than that, I like pieces of
> the layouts from Gallery and Pidgin (formerly Gaim), although I don't
> love either layout, and am not entirely attached to the whole "top and
> left nav" layout, although it has sort of become the standard in web
> design these days.
>
> With that said, I have received a rather large number of responses about
> this project, and since the best way to start these things is with a
> couple weeks of brainstorming, I would like to see a mockup front page
> from anyone interested in participating.  Just reply to this message
> with a link to your design.  If you don't have somewhere to post your
> design, please email it directly to me (not to the list) and I will post
> it on my website for you.
>
> -Chris
>
> Also, I expect that some of you will be tempted to redesign pieces of
> the MythTV logo.  I do *not* know how Isaac and other devs feel about
> the topic, but imho everything but the the grey "mythTV" text is open
> for redesign (that being "treatment" rather than "hero", as some
> designers would say).  However, since this is initially a brainstorming
> session, feel free to redesign as much of the logo as you feel will help
> your design.

I thought I'd chime in... haha, although I don't have a screenshot, it
wouldn't be hard to come up with one....

Why don't we just make the website look like the mythfrontend screen
itself?  Allow the user to chose an official "theme" and overlay it on
the site or make it random, or whatever.  Just change "Watch TV", etc
to whatever topics you want on the website.  Either way, just an idea.
 Good work on all the mock-ups!

Thanks!
Matt