[mythtv] Help required in adding new Font in mythtv

Carl Reynolds mythtv-dev at hyperbole-software.com
Sat May 19 16:49:42 UTC 2007

Asheesh Chaddha wrote:

> I intend using Arial font for my display for mythtv, I have the font
> file (Arial.ttf) but I do not know where to place the file in the mythtv
> directory or what changes are required to be made in the makefile.
>
> I have done some experiments by putting Font file in particular theme or
> adding it in theme.pro <http://theme.pro> to install it but still no
> success. Another option which I could think of is adding in QT( where QT
> places its fonts) as it seems mythtv is using QT methods to search for
> particular font but it will be best if I can add this information in
> make file and it get installed at particular location.

This is more of a user question than a developer question.

In addition to adding the font file to Theme.pro you need to copy the
*.ttf file to one of the directories that MythTV searches as it starts up.

I generally copy these files to "/home/mythtv/.mythtv" (Assuming you are
running MythTV frontend as the user mythtv.) In your case copying
"Arial.ttf" to ~mythtv/.mythtv (note the '.' in front of the final
directory name) should allow MythTV to find the font.

You could also copy the file to a number of other directories including
/usr/share/mythtv, but ~mythtv/.mythtv is probably the safest place to use.

Carl.