[mythtv] Status of MacOS backend?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue May 22 00:35:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 20:09 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> Some time ago, I contributed firewire recording support for MacOS, and
> built frontend *and* backend applications.  My G4 mac mini couldn't
> really support HD playback, but it was still useful and fun.
> Unfortunately, through the slow decay of systems rot, my Myth
> installation is now no longer working.  I'm thinking of upgrading to
> an intel-based mac mini and the latest MythTV now, but last time I
> tried to build a MacOS backend, the build failed miserably.  Is the
> mac backend still working in some form?

I built one a couple months ago. There is an outstanding ticket
for version 23 of the OS X Firewire SDK, I built using version
21. You will need to delete and recreate any firewire recorders
as we've gotten rid of the whole node/port tie-in and now use
the GUID both under OS X and Linux; you should now be able to
use more than one STB under OS X, but this functionality has
only been tested under Linux. I had OSX working with both the
firewire recorder and the HDHomeRun recorder. I build on a
pre-Intel Mac Mini, so I don't know about Intel CPU support but
just from reading the SVN logs it seems like some people have
it working as a frontend.

> I s'pose I could always install ubuntu and use virtualization to
> make MacOS available...

I don't know how well virtualization of the hardware will
work, USB will almost certainly work but firewire might not.
If MythTV is the only application using that bus this may
not be a problem, but if you have a firewire scanner or
device you can't share over a network protocol this could
be a problem.

-- Daniel