[mythtv] specification of .nuv file with rjpeg video compression ?!

tormen at gmx.net tormen at gmx.net
Mon May 28 09:09:33 UTC 2007

Hi.

There is a problem with .nuv files that contain rjpeg compressed video:

mplayer can't play it.
Even though it can play .nuv files with divx compressed video inside!

I am trying to find out, why. So I asked on the mplayer mailinglist for
help. And they seem really willing to help there.

So I want to ask here if there is maybe someone involved in the code
that encodes or decodes the .nuv + rjpeg code in mythtv / mythfrontend
and if he or she could be willing to help me to sort out the problems
that mplayer has when playing this sort of nuv files.

I recorded a short example video with mythtv 0.20.1_p13344 and put it
here: http://posern.org/test/sample.nuv

About this video I got the following answer from the mplayer
mailinglist:
> Well, that file does not contain the quantizers used to encode it. I
> guess mythfrontend uses some default values - MPlayer unfortunately uses
> 0 as default which results only in a black/green screen.

And below is the latest answer of a guy who /seems/ to know what he is
talking about :-)

Hope on some help on this.

Whats my motivation?
Because I have (regularily) many .nuv files that fail to be
reencoded with mythtranscode with the (mysterious) error 247:
2007-05-28 09:53:43.913 Copying Audio while transcoding Video
2007-05-28 09:55:44.658 NVR: lame error '-1'
2007-05-28 09:55:44.670 Transcode: Encountered irrecoverable error in
NVR::WriteAudio
2007-05-28 09:55:44.671 Transcoding
/LINKS/tv/myth/Harald_Schmidt_#_#_2007-05-10,2245.00.nuv failed
[247]

That's the reason - beside that I would love also to be able to play
a tv recording also easily from console (with mplayer) - that I am
interested in mencoder in the hope that his feature to simply copy the
audio information would help me here with this buggy(?) audio
information <<< even though mythtv can play the above video with sound
properly.

Greetings,

tormen.