[mythtv] Internal DVD player incorrectly detects video scan (interlacing)

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:49:49 UTC 2007

The internal player always starts off in interlaced mode, then follows
the flags provided by the video blindly.  It looks like this DVD's
video is clearly stating it is progressive scan.  Every frame is
saying progressive.  Unfortunately, many DVD's are authored
incorrectly.  (See The Secrets of Home Theater website for a VERY
involved discussion of the complexities of deinterlacing and how badly
DVD's are often authored)

My guess is that this is not a very solvable problem in the current
state of things.  I would love to learn enough to know how to DETECT
mis-flagged video like the Faroujda (sp?) hardware solutions do in
higher end DVD players, but I haven't had the time.

In fact one of my local TV stations (7.1 WHDH-DT in Boston, MA)
regularly misflags their primetime shows (1080i content with
intermittently flagged progressive frames, but which don't seem to
quite match a telecine pattern).

David.