[mythtv] Controlling the DCT2000 series STB

Worldnet onley at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 7 01:07:40 UTC 2007

> On 11/6/07, Worldnet <onley[at]worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> > I don't think mythtv will do this for you but I can imagine you
>> couldset> this up with lirc and an external script. Something like:> 1)
>> Map your STB commands to an unused remote button2) Point LIRC to a>
>> script to execute when these are pushed3) Do a query to find which STB>
>> is displaying LiveTV4) Send the right/left/up/down/select command to the
>> > STB

>> This would work well but my question is number 3. I can alter the
>> scriptsto send the commands but how do you query the backend to see
>> which tuneryou are watching?

> I would expect you would just query the database and pull out the info
> you need. I can't give specifics until later tonight since I don'thave
> access to my database atm. Somewhere you can find which tuner is
> recording LiveTV and then map that to the command to send over theserial
> line. Of course you have to be careful if you have more thanone frontend
> since there could be more than one LiveTV going...
> I probably wouldn't personally go through all the hoops to make thiswork
> with lirc but I can imagine five scripts stb_up, stb_down,stb_right,
> stb_left, stb_select. I could run these from my laptop andnavigate the
> menus good enough for my purposes.

Actually it's pretty easy to get lirc to send the stuff but the problem
is that this is my brothers system and there are 5 tuners and we are
setting up 4 remote frontends so there is a pretty good chance that
there will be more than one frontend watching live tv at once. I just
wish there was a hook that I could use to tell Myth to send something
other than channel numbers to the external tuner. It is such a simple
concept but there is one link missing from the chain and getting into
the Myth codebase is WAY over my head.

The other idea I had was to dedicate a box/tuner to OnDemand, then
you would always know which tuner you are using, but then you could
only have 1 OnDemand session at a time.

Thanks for your suggestion though, I will look into the database angle
and see if there is a way to get a tuner number. I know it is reported
when you start a live tv session (you see the tuner you are connected
to in the upper left corner of the screen when the session starts) so
maybe I can pull that info from somewhere and pass it as a parameter
to the channel change app, we have already modified it to accept a
com port parmeter before the channel number so that the external
tuner command can specify which com port to use for which box.