[mythtv] mpg2 corruption

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Nov 17 15:21:21 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 10:14 -0500, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I run a recent version of the trunk against an HDHomerun. I find that
> many of the mpg2 captured recordings have bad audio and video dropouts
> and artifacts for extended periods. In fact this is bad enough that when
> the frontend hits one of these segments, it often segfaults.
>
> I separately poll the HDHomerun every few minutes to log debug info on
> the active tuner/streams, and the log shows nothing abnormal when I
> correlate it with the bad captures.

This is probably a reception problem for which there are many helpful
discussions on the user's mailing list, cable installers often forget
to ground the cable properly and people often use RG-59 cables when
they need to use RG-6.

With the HDHomeRun it could also be a networking problem. In which
case you need to google for any known problems with your network
drivers or with the switches or hubs located between your computer
and the HDHomeRun. Using a preemptive kernel and oversizing your
networking buffers can help.

At this point it looks like this is a use question without any impact
on MythTV development so just CC me on your first e-mail to the users
list about this and I'll follow the discussion there.

-- Daniel