[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Nov 21 15:11:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 08:21 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Justin Hornsby wrote:

> Yes. 'TV Guide data sources' sounds like what Schedules Direct offers.
>
> Something like 'TV Channel Groups' might be more descriptive of the
> things which are contained in that container. A 'Channel Group' is
> clearly a collection of TV channels which, as it happens, can be
> captured by one type of defined capture card.

Channel Group, Tuning Lineup, are both better than "TV Guide data
sources". A single lineup provider or source can update multiple
"Video Sources" and multiple lineup providers can update a single
"Video Source" (EIT + XMLTV for example). When you have something
Like DVB-S with a rotor the "Video Source" corresponds to a single
orbital location, but multiple orbital locations may be on the
same network getting EIT from a single transport at a single orbital
location and multiple "Video Sources" may be associated with the
same orbital location because satellites in different networks are
parked in a cluster occupying the same orbital location.

I don't think there is any doubt that the existing "Video Sources"
is confusing to most people new to MythTV, and will become more so
when/if we start doing lineups for DVB Radio and the like.

PS "TV Guide" is also a registered trademark for channel lineup
and listings services, so we can't use that as part of the name.

-- Daniel