[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 21 17:58:37 UTC 2007

On 11/21/2007 11:36 AM, Justin Hornsby wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> <a very long response, snipped>
>>
> I've personally never seen the name 'video sources' as particularly
> accurate or logical.  I just got on with it & muddled through.  MythTV
> is reaching a level of exposure in its maturity where concerns about the
> 'average' new user have to be addressed IMHO.
>
> Do me a favour.  Ask a friend who doesn't know anything about mythtv
> what meaning 'Video Sources' would imply to them.

Oh, I completely agree with you--in spite of my long response--that the
terminology isn't easy for a new user to understand.  The OC side of me
just has a hard time with the idea of making it less accurate regardless
of the purpose or the results.  I can't really think of any name that's
both accurate and easy to understand so--were it my decision--I'd just
leave it the same.

I wonder, too, if the only reason that the term, "Season Pass" is easy
to understand is because TiVo drilled the term and its meaning into our
heads in their advertising campaign.  Perhaps this is just a job for the
marketing/sales folks.  :)

Mike